Code of Ethics
1. I will always act ethically and respectfully to support the professional relationship with my client.
2. I will take great care in creating a positive and professional environment, which respects the client and their personal values.
3. I will honour all points stated in any verbal and/or contractual agreement, which has been agreed upon by my client and I will ensure that, prior to or at the initial session, my client understands the nature of my work, the bounds of confidentiality, financial arrangements and other terms of any agreement between them and I.
4. I will protect the confidentiality of my clients, unless it is legally imperative that I make a disclosure or have been given written permission to do so. If I find myself presented with a situation, in which I clearly do not have the appropriate skills, I will explain this, bring closure to the professional relationship and make an appropriate referral.
5. I will at all times strive to recognise personal issues that may impair, conflict or interfere with my performance or my professional relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly seek professional assistance through supervision and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my professional relationship(s).
6. I agree to take regular supervision with a dedicated supervisor for my on-going professional and personal development. The number of clients or client hours for supervision will be agreed between my supervisor and me.
7. I will accurately identify my qualifications, expertise and experience in the method that I have been professionally trained for and am qualified to practice.
8. I will do my best to ensure that my client leaves in a resourceful and alert state at the end of each session.
9. I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact that I may have with my clients.
10. If I believe the client would be better served by another Practitioner, Therapist, or by another resource, I will encourage the client to make a change.
11. I will respect the client’s right to terminate the session/program at any point during the process. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from the session/program.
12. I will do my best to model and integrate the knowledge that everyone has their own best answers to any of life’s challenges within them.
*This Code of Ethics is borrowed from the
International Association of Coaches, Therapists, and Mentors